WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I hope you enjoy reading it. I will try to put entries in weekly. I look forward to getting some comments. PS. DON'T FORGET THAT YOU CAN ENLARGE MOST OF THE PHOTOS FOR BETTER VIEWING BY CLICKING ON THEM.

Travel Plans: FEB 4: Dep. Brisbane 12.10 pm. FEB 4: Los Angeles 7.00 am. FEB 5: Los Angeles - Albuquerque. FEB 5 - MAY 15 : Sangre de Cristo. MAY 15: Chicago to London. MAY 16: London. MAY 21-15: Lourdes. MAY 25-28: London, MAY 28:Via Paris to Issoudun. JUNE 2:Paris. JUNE 5:Paris via London to Rome. JUNE 12:Dep. Rome. JUNE 13:Hong Kong 6.45 am. - 11.15 pm. JUNE 14:Brisbane 9.40 am.

Friday, May 18, 2007

London

Dear All,
Well this is the third day here and the weather is a bit brighter. I am wearing a cardigan. This morning I saw the fox which frequents the back yard of the Convent - poor creature. It looked a bit furtive and nervous and its coat was not shiny. It was reasonably tall. If the camera had been handy, it would have been an easy photo. Sr Vianney was not pleased to see it putting a deposit on the back lawn - she said it is a dreadful smell, especially when the lawn is mowed!!! I am learning many things I did not know I would be learning. I took photos today of the Parish House where Srs Greta and Catherine live, then the one where I am staying, where Srs Vianney, Ursula, Marion and Frances live (except the last-mentioned is away on Retreat just now). All the houses in this area are of a similar style, although the insides vary a bit.


1) Greta out the front of the Parish house - she loves living there. 2) Back view of the Parish house from well down the yard. A peaceful place. Because of where the sun was, I could not take a view of the yard. 3) This is the street view of 48 Monkleigh Street where I am staying. My room is the 2nd or 3rd casement window along - above the front door.

The streets are very narrow and cars park along both sides, so 'dodgem' ensues - at a good speed! I can see a lot of tolerance among the drivers who are very adept at whipping through tight spots. It is also not surprising that everyone seems to have a small car! The houses have quite steep flights of stairs inside. Since the youngest sister (in the Council house) is quite mature, I wonder what will happen in the years to come! The steps of the stairs are so narrow I have to put my foot sideways. In both houses, the toilet pedestals in the bathrooms are perched atop tiled areas about 10 cm above the ground. These houses are not built for the frail and infirm, I can see. At present I am sitting in the attic which is delightful on a day where my feet become cold in the rest of the house. There are four large fanlights with glass panes in them - it mustn't hail to any degree here, or it is bulletproof glass! The sun is keeping the room so warm I could doze all afternoon. There are many lovely green parks about - one opposite the Parish House.

We've been going to 9 am Mass at the Parish Church (just around the corner and along a little!). Sr Catherine (the 'young' one in the Parish House) is a dynamo there in the Parish and has all sorts of things humming along. She is very Irish, warm, jolly and sane and I am told the people love her. I could see why as I sat chatting with her for the first time over a cuppa this morning.

You could not forget it is the month of May in this Church for she has 'inspired' a very good sewing lady in the Parish to do all these decorative hangings along the sides and in the sanctuary. I think they would all be done on a fancy stitching sewing machine, and they show great skill. (Not quite 'liturgical' in some places, but they are very lovely!). The one in front of the altar has actual blue satin material drapes for the sleeves. Enlarge it and you will see.

1) The Park opposite the Parish House in Cannon Hill Lane. 2) Mary with the infant Jesus - note the baby lambs! This is on on of about 10 side pillars each of which has a similar hanging showing an aspect of Mary in the Gospel story or an images of Mary as 'Our Lady of eg. Fatima or .............etc.
3) A general view of the sanctuary area - well worth clicking on to enlarge so you can see more detail of the hanging in front of the altar. Note also the crowned statue at the back etc.
I'll add to this blog, hopefully, after seeing some London 'sights' tomorrow with Colin. xxx Rita

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Rita,
Glad to hear that you have arrived in England safely and experiencing the English lifestyle in England. I found the houses and the parks very attractive and the drivers do seem very efficient and courteous. Hope you have a good day with Colin visiting the London sights. Denise

Kath H said...

We can't figure out what part of London you are in, but it doesn't seem very central. The church looks rather modern. Hope you enjoy your sightseeing with Colin. Winter has arrived here, suddenly, after 40 mm of rain between midnight Thursday into Friday and then on Friday afternoon evening (34 and then 6). It was fairly general through NSW so very welcome. Monday/Tuesday may bring more with snow in the mountains. The clouds are wonderful and the wind has a real nip. It got to 14 yesterday and 15 today. You need more than a cardigan... Love, Kath & John

About Me

My photo
I am of 'mature age', active, religous and charming of course!