WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I hope you enjoy reading it. I will try to put entries in weekly. I look forward to getting some comments. PS. DON'T FORGET THAT YOU CAN ENLARGE MOST OF THE PHOTOS FOR BETTER VIEWING BY CLICKING ON THEM.

Travel Plans: FEB 4: Dep. Brisbane 12.10 pm. FEB 4: Los Angeles 7.00 am. FEB 5: Los Angeles - Albuquerque. FEB 5 - MAY 15 : Sangre de Cristo. MAY 15: Chicago to London. MAY 16: London. MAY 21-15: Lourdes. MAY 25-28: London, MAY 28:Via Paris to Issoudun. JUNE 2:Paris. JUNE 5:Paris via London to Rome. JUNE 12:Dep. Rome. JUNE 13:Hong Kong 6.45 am. - 11.15 pm. JUNE 14:Brisbane 9.40 am.

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Rome 2

Dear All,

I was longing to go to an Enlgish-speaking Mass on Sunday, so Helen and I bussed off to the Oratory and were part of a double circle of people (no more than 50) in a gem of a Church, and everything in English. What is more, they had nibbles after Mass and we stood around and chatted as we sipped wine/juice and chips/nuts. Very nice. There were a couple there I had met on the bus trip the previous day, including Fr Stuart, from Melbourne, known well to Fr Tony who was on my Sangre course. I took a photo.
1) Sr Helen & Fr Stuart after Mass (he wasn't the celebrant. He has been studying in Rome and is on a break2) This was the celebrant's chair for our Mass and in front of it was a free-standing altar-table. Behind it in the picture, you can see the main altar in the Church.
3) This is quite some Holy Water font! Those angels are about a half a metre high.
We also checked out the Pantheon, which was built by the Romans. It is a church and there are notices inviting suitable behaviour, but the crowds make any sense of 'church' difficult to achieve.

1) You can see the notice about this being a Church.
2) The dome was an engineering marvel, with a central hole to let out the smoke from the burnt sacrifices offered within the space when it was a Roman temple. Now the hole just lets in the rain, but it would also help general ventilation.
3) A side chapel within the Pantheon.
We wandered around various streets and had a lovely lunch at an outdoor restaurant. The waiter was suitable aloof - the normal style in Rome, as far as I can gather. He did a good job. We saw various fountains and buildings of interest.
1) We had lunch at one of the restaurants down the further end of this piazza.
2) One of the many fountains of Rome.
3) The Church of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart in Rome.

I must conclude the Rome section by giving you a little idea of the place in Rome where I stayed with the Sisters of our Generate. The building, as most in Rome, is several stories high, and there is a lovely garden maintained by a gardener. The Community is very multinational, but English is the common language with most speaking it. We had a Barbecue evening meal for one Sister's birthday, hence the outdoor photos.
1) A small section of the grounds in front of the house. Unfortunately I lost my good photos of the house!
2) Sr Gerardine (Australia) and Sr Chantal (Uganda)
3) Srs Relida & Dominica (PNG), Sr Kateia (Kiribatis) and Sr Bernadette (Australia). There were also 3 sisters from Indonesia and 1 from Brazil, plus 2 more Australians.

That finishes the Rome section of my journey except for Assisi, which is worth a blog on its own and is still to come. Bye for the present. God bless! Rita

1 comment:

Colin said...

Hi Rita

Firstly, Happy Birthday. I wish I had been there for the big day. I hope you got my ecard.

I'd loved your pics of Rome. I remember taking some pics almost exaclty the same (e.g. Pantheon) - it brings back great memories of my trip to Rome. I can't wait for your Assissi entry; I wish I had gone there.

I'm glad you found a church all in English. I was in Rome for Easter last year and went to one of the many Churhes for the Easter vigil Masses all in Italian (one sentence of the holily was given in English!). Ooops! The Mass went for over 2 hours. I saw several (presumably tourists) leave way before the end after an hour, but I stayed right thorugh.

See you in August, Rita.

From Colin

About Me

My photo
I am of 'mature age', active, religous and charming of course!